With the popularity of events like the UFC, it’s really easy to get wrapped up in the idea of not only training No-Gi Submission Wrestling, but avoiding training with the GI since you may want to compete in No Gi or MMA competition. Well I have 5 great reasons to training with the Gi, even if you will never plan on competing in a Gi tournament.
- It Slows Down Your Partner – The Gi is a great training tool. It helps us slow movements down so we can see what is happening…WHILE IT HAPPENS. This is super important for Beginners and when learning new moves. It gives you time to understand what is happening and adapt while you get a better “Feel” for the situation.
- Your Escapes Get Better – When training with a Gi there are many places your partner can grab, there is more friction, his transitions are tighter etc. The Gi forces your movements to be more refined (accuracy, timing, angles), as escaping is much more difficult. However, once you have mastered the escapes, there is NO WAY he can hold you down in without the Gi. Sweat increases movement and lack of better grips allow for more freedom and range of motion.
- More Brain, Less Attributes – With Gi grappling, there is more focus on timing and pressure. That is important. Your window of opportunity with the Gi on lasts much longer, giving you time to answer your partners attack or defense. In No Gi you need to react much faster, if you are too late to react it forces you to rely on your attributes (Speed, Strength, Flexibility, mobility etc.). By eliminating your attributes until they are absolutely necessary you will be able to develop the technical side of BJJ. Invest in a game that you can play for the next 40 years, not just while you are in your prime.
- You’ll Develop a Choke Proof Neck – Most No Gi guys tend to not want to wear the Gi because they fear the chokes (and the lack of movement). Although you will get choked alot, and I mean ALOT, more with the Gi, it does condition your neck, just like strikers condition their shins and fists. Also, it is much easier to get choked with a Gi because the size of the Gi itself is small. This builds awareness of your neck so it is not exposed whether you train Gi or No Gi that day.
- It Encourages Creativity – There are so many ways you can use your Gi, your opponent’s Gi, Belts, Grips etc. The possibilities seem endless. New positions, transitions and submissions are being discovered and rediscovered all the time. Wearing the Gi encourages you to think outside the box and explore what is out there.
There you have it guys, 5 simple reasons why you should be rocking the GI. Plus, you have so much more space to deck it out with patches when you get those sponsors knocking at your door. A couple other side benefits: hygiene, looks cool, and one day you could be a Black Belt.
Come down to Arashi Do and try out one of our great Brazilian programs like Fundamental BJJ, Women’s Only BJJ or Children’s BJJ for ages 4-7 and 8-14. All those and you get a 30 DAY FREE TRIAL! What are you waiting for? Call or text us at 780-220-5425 or email us at myackulic@ArashiDo.com